Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunday morning ride

I went out with Alex to put in a 60 mile ride. The original plan was to ride 70 but he didn't want to leave Nancy caring for his granddaughter and be gone too long so we cut the ride 10 miles short. The morning started off on a comfortable note temperature wise but quickly warmed up. It's 94 currently in the shade here at 4 pm. I would say the weather was already in the low 90's in the sun when I returned home shortly before noon. There came a point on the way back where the heat just got punishing. I was putting in the same effort I was before but I couldn't get my heart rate to drop below 160-170 bpm. Only a few hours earlier I was riding around 140. I can ride all day long at 160 but go too much past 170 on the bike and it takes it's toll fast. Running at 170 on the other hand is a norm and comfortable.

I met a guy on his Tri bike about 5 miles from home. He's attending Claremont Graduate University. He came out here about 3 months ago because he's studying to be a doctor. He said he was going to participate in Ironman Wisconsin in September. As he went his own direction he seemed like a cool fellow. Would have been nice to have some way to get in touch with him later and see about gaining a running partner or something. Just not that feasible when you're on a bike ya know?! =)

Today was the last time I'll be able to spend any considerable time on the bike until I return. Even then, I have Piru on July 12th so my time is still very limited to allow for recovery.

No comments: