Sunday, August 9, 2009

Saturday/Sunday

Saturday I decided to make it a brick workout. Lorelei and I met up with Tien for a short 2 mile run. Although, Tien would likely protest my use of the word "short" here in relation to any distance running. =P

I rode the TT bike out to Central Park in Rancho Cucamonga and Lorelei drove out with Brutus to meet me. I put the bike in the back of her car, changed and went for a run. The nice thing about brick workouts is there's no required speed for the run really. I'm more concerned with the transition from bike to run and getting better acclimated so the muscles are less reluctant to work when I ask them to. So, we ran at about a 10:00 mile pace...Tien's working pace and it was nice being able to just relax and jog. It's also nice to have some sort of a little running buddy/group.

Saturday's workout was just a 10 mile bike and 2 mile jog. Tomorrow is my short distance higher intensity day. 2.5 miles @ probably 7:30 - 7:40 minute per mile pace.

After we got back home and showered we went up to hang out with Rachel (my ex) and help her out a little bit. Her boyfriend gave her some pretty chicken shit treatment in how he ended their relationship. Rachel and I have remained friends and it helps that Lorelei and her get along pretty well. So we went up there, out to lunch, saw a movie and hung out for a bit. Just something to take her mind off things for a bit. She seemed really thankful and she knows I'm just a phone call, text message, or IM away. Next weekend Lorelei and she are going to go down to see an exhibit in San Diego and I'm glad they are both really looking forward to it.

This morning I got up and went riding with Alex. We were supposed to do 70 miles but cut it short. Alex was beginning to have a tough time with hills and I was feeling too good but not good enough to continue on anything but a reasonably flat course. Every route I thought about had hills so I cut my ride at 63 miles. I took off the Selle SMP Evolution saddle and replaced it with a Fizik Arione since riding on the Evolution hasn't been comfortable for a little while. The Fizik saddle still reminded me I'm sore but was pretty comfortable to ride on. I'm sure as I get more used to the Fizik and stuff it'll be a better ride. Maybe this is why today's ride was better? Mentally I wasn't having to push away saddle pain... Only time will tell.

I decided to finally take the plunge and go on my first cruise. I made my reservations last week for a 6 day Alaskan cruise next May. I've always wanted to go to Alaska as far back as I could remember and with a special limited time rate of $369 per person how could I resist? So...it's an inside cabin. Big deal, it's more toward the center of the ship (which is only 7 or 8 years old) which means less rocking. And besides, I'm hardly going to be in the room anyway. If I'm paying to be entertained, I'm not being a recluse in my room. So yeah, it's my early X-mas present to myself and I'm excited. =)

No comments: