Sunday, November 22, 2009

El Tour de Tucson 2009

Well, El Tour de Tucson is in the books for 2009 and officially it closes my race year. I'm sure as I turn my focus from road cycling back to the TT bike and more running in preparation for Auburn I'll have some reflecting to do on this past year. Reflection can be a good thing. I've been fortunate enough to feel what a podium finish is like a few times, what it feels like to be thoroughly beaten, and that I'm pleased with my first year of duathlons. Standing on podiums my first year simply confirms that I can win. Not standing on them lets me know I have more to work on and that improvement is never a finite thing.

I drove out to Tucson Thursday morning. It was such a long day of driving. Arizona really has gotten ridiculous with their speed enforcement cameras on the highways. They are about every 5 miles is seems and literally seem to create a safety hazard as people drive one way and then suddenly slow down for the cameras and then speed right back up again. The traffic surges are ridiculous. At some point you choose either one of the lanes that's going ridiculously slow or another that may be a little too fast and it triggers these cameras. I have no idea what the allowance is.

I arrived out in Tucson between 4 and 4:30 pm Thursday and picked up my timing chip, bib number, free swag etc. and then checked into the hotel.

Friday...went to the Pima Air and Space museum and took the AMARG tour of the local Air Force Base in Tucson. On the base is what they call the "Boneyard". It can be seen via satellite here. Go ahead and zoom in. I outlined the area with a blue line. The Boneyard is where planes go to bed mothballed. These planes are used for parts for planes still in service today by us and other countries. There are countries we sell our old planes to and when those break down, they come back to us for parts. It's reportedly one of the few parts of the government that actually makes money. The program makes about $17 for every $1 we spend on those planes there. Of course, the cost of building them is not factored into it as they are accepted costs of having them around long ago.

Our tour bus announcer was a pretty spry old guy. He told us about how they had 2 inches of snow one morning in Tucson. The local news held a photo and caption contest and one guy took a picture of the snow sitting on his palm tree adjacent to his house and sent it in. It was the winning photo and caption. What was the caption you ask? Dad...you love this! =) "But it's a dry heat!". hehe

Saturday was race day. I woke up early, took a shower, cooked breakfast and headed out to the start area. I arrived about a hour before the start which seemed perfect timing. Alex and Nancy came shortly after and poor Alex. He had a flat from our easy ride the day before. He understandably got frustrated, changed it and made it to the starting area but not up with me.

Eventually we were off! While we were waiting at the starting area the announcer thanked us all for our generosity. There were 13 charities involved with El Tour this year and just only 3 had reported their contributions it was announced that the expected goals for this year had been surpassed. Those 3 charities were reporting a combined total at that point of 1.6 million dollars. So, our generosity was thanked as well as our attendance to El Tour because neither would be as successful without the other. El Tour this year was the most expensive El Tour de Tucson ever costing 1.8 million. It really is a first class event for this small desert town.

I felt pretty good through the whole course. I exercised my demon from the past two years and had no cramping and no bonking over the last 20 miles. I finished all 80 miles feeling strong. Of course, the legs burned but that sure beats cramps and the awful bonk. Finish time? 4:11. It's not better than my first year's 4:01 but is better than last year's 4:23.

In attendance for the 80 mile event was Gary Fisher. Yes the MTB legend! =) Other pro riders showed up for the 109 mile distance as is usually the case.

After the race I cycled through my data. For some reason my speed was never recorded which was also why I didn't have my ride distance available on display or any other data contingent on speed or distance. All I really had to upload then was my heart rate info and calorie expenditure. My heart rate was certainly up there. The interesting thing was, was that I averaged 160 bpm and even when I peaked at 184 it didn't feel like my heart was about to stage a revolt like normal. The legs and cardio systems really worked great the entire time regardless of what I asked of them. I burned 4561 calories, taking in about 1800 along the way and boy was I just something about to rampage if I didn't get something in me quick.

I arrived home this evening after a long day of driving. It didn't feel as bad coming back as it did going out but long nonetheless. Good to be home.

Some weekend photos here. Results here.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Everyone here is proud of you!