Tuesday, November 17, 2009

REVIEW: The Circle by Bon Jovi

First, let me get something off my chest about the album...

I looked at ticket prices last night for his new album tour to the Honda Center and Staples Center. Nose bleed ticket prices were $150 and $120 respectively a couple days ago. So Jon, when you and Richie write songs like "Work For The Working Man" and you sing about dreams, hopes, and essentially the hard honest work many people do how is it you charge so much for seats so far away? That's saying nothing of the seats closer. I've loved your music since I found a cassette tape (7800 Fahrenheit) at YMCA camp when I was a kid. I've never been able to see you and before you start to decline vocally which is inevitable I'd like to see you at least once.

Ok, now about the album...

There are good songs on this album but there will be nothing that really jumps out at you. "Work For The Working Man" to me, took as close of a step back to the 80s with Jon's old bluesy rock songs. He does prove he has vocal strength in a number of the songs but the songs are certainly softer than the 80s. That being said, it's not the 80s anymore folks and Jon isn't 20-something.

"We Weren't Born To Follow" is an upbeat song that I like because it really raises your spirits. In our current time, there's a lot to balk about in the news and politics. While Jon certainly sings about how things are now he does inject something upbeat and positive into the album with this song.

I'm not really certain I can classify "Superman Tonight" as a ballad but for anyone that's been in love it's a song we can all identify with. It most certainly is a song that after one day of owning the album I find myself singing along to.

"Bullet" is a grittier sounding song. Again, a bluesy sound permeates this song from time to time. Perhaps it's a bit country inspired Kid Rock-ish in spots but I still enjoy listening to it.

"Thorn In My Side" is a bit generic while being higher tempo. It hasn't really grown on me yet but perhaps it will the longer I listen to it.

"Live Before You Die" is a quieter song. It's a song that really makes you think about how eventually " there will come a day you'll have to say hello to goodbye". So...the message is don't take tomorrow's sunrise for granted and make sure to live as full of a life as possible. I like the song because it's how I live my life as best as possible. I may only be 31 but I have my bucket list...the things I want to do and accomplish before time runs out. I wouldn't say this song is for everyone though.

"Brokenpromiseland" is a pretty cool song for me. It's definitely a song that has a bluesy twang to it but ya know what? I'm kinda digging the bluesy twang in Bon Jovi. I never listened to his last album (the country one) but I don't mind what he's being doing since Crush.

I'm still listening to the album trying to allow the other songs time to grow on me. The ones I've written about are ones that I have a solid opinion about and for the most part, enjoy. Don't expect a huge rock album out of this. It's nothing even comparable to his 80s and early 90s music. If you liked Crush then you will enjoy The Circle, simply put.

No comments: