Friday, December 4, 2009

Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Last year I really wanted to see TSO but Tucson fell on the same weekend they were performing. This year, I made sure that I went to see them. I've been attracted to what they do for quite some time and have long been curious about how cool of a performance it might be.

Well, last night all my questions were answered. I bought tickets and Lorelei and I sat in the 4th row from the stage. I have been to my share of concerts so when I say this one blew everything else away entirely...it is still an understatement.

The first 1.5 to 2 hours was a narrated Christmas story, musical feast, and eye popping something-or-other (I really have no idea how to capture everything in words). The narrator took a bit of getting used to but it was a narrated story of this person with no family to spend time with on Christmas and how even a neon sign on a bar can be a hopeful star on Christmas Eve to some. The story went along with someone that the person met at the bar and started talking to about a story of his own. Between narrations, the band would play, or a singer dressed as a bum would come walking on stage and giving his part in the whole presentation.

I can't quite find the proper intensity of words to describe any of this but as the story goes on, it captivates you, makes you feel joyful and lucky for what you do have, it makes you want to help those less fortunate. Somehow you feel transported into this magical world of beauty and joy. I found this story took me through a range of emotions from awesomeness of the performance and music to almost tears. TSO's performance last night was something I can only say as magical. If I had to put it into something more understandable, remember in the Polar Express how the boy felt when he went to see Santa? How everything felt magical? That's the feelings TSO provides through their performance.

After that part of the performance was done, the creator of TSO came on stage and asked who was seeing them for the first time. All those applauded and screamed. Then, we were asked who were repeat offenders...I couldn't believe how loud the Honda Center erupted. We were told to hang tight after they played some of the new material off their new album, Night Castle. We had a very special surprise coming.

TSO played about 40 minutes of their new material I guess. I was so captivated that I wasn't keeping time. Then Joe Walsh walks out and the audience just erupts in cheer. Holy freakin cow, a surprise appearance by Joe Walsh!!! Joe played a number of songs and even in his 60s, still sounds pretty darn good!

If you ever have the opportunity to go see TSO, GO SEE THEM!

Photos: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=32348&id=1641663813&l=c4dc732369

No comments: