Saturday, January 9, 2010

Running pain

Shortly after I came back from Tucson I started having a shooting pain in the outside of my left knee. It would rear it's head about 1-2 miles into a run and I would feel it as early as half a mile into a run. It would get so painful I would have to stop and walk back home. Funny though, as soon as I started walking instead of running...no pain.

A few weeks went by and every time I ran the pain would come back and I would have to abort the run. Shortly before I went back home for Christmas I was given a recommendation to see this Chiropractor in Glendora. At the time I was thinking about going to see my primary physician and get a referral to a PT. After talking with other athlete's I came to realize that Physical Therapists won't know how to deal with a sports related injury. A broken limb...sure! But nothing specific like a sports pain.

So I saw Dr. Bolton before I flew back east and he gave me a general work-over on the leg but needed more specific information as to what my foot was doing when it hurt and the specific area of pain. The place on my knee I was trying to point out has about 7 different functions so he needed a more precise location.

This past Tuesday I went back to Dr. Bolton with this information and he started to think it was less my IT band and more my meniscus. He worked everything pertaining to the meniscus for 40 minutes. I went running Wednesday for a slow 1 mile run and had no pain. I went for another run Friday afternoon and also was pain free. I'm hoping that Monday when I run again at the same pace again that I can cancel my Tuesday appointment after what I hope to be another pain free run. If that's the case, I'll run Wednesday maybe a 1.5 miles at the same pace and see what happens when I only slightly up the distance.

No comments: