Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Post holiday catch up...

This Christmas was most likely the best I've ever had and it started last June. In June, I asked my mom about flying home to surprise dad for Christmas. He's always so bah humbug during the holidays since the kids have grown up and moved out. It's not the holiday for him without family. She thought the idea was great so I purchased my tickets.

I left California the morning of Christmas Eve and arrived in Philadelphia early that evening. Philly is only about 40 minutes from my parent's house in Valley Forge and it took only slightly longer because I had to pick up the rental car.

I arrived home and snuck up to the front door. My mom answered and dragged my dad over to the door. She had to almost yell at him to look out the door. My dad was eating dinner and hates being disturbed during dinner so I understood his reluctance to get up. He did, and as soon as he saw me, he broke into tears of joy. The look on his face is something I will NEVER forget! =) We sat down and enjoyed dinner together for the first time in 3 years. I hadn't been home in 7 or 8.

Christmas evening we all traveled to the airport to pick Lorelei up. It was rainy and her flight was delayed landing for about an hour. My parents had never met Lorelei so I was anxious. She landed and everybody met. We picked up her baggage and drove home. That night my mom made a roast and we feasted! I should just throw a general statement out now...every night we were there we feasted!

Lorelei and I spent time visiting Valley Forge National Park where we visited the Visitor's Center, several encampment sites of George Washington and his Army, Peddler's Village, a couple trips into Philadelphia, and the Hershey Park Factory Tour. We did a lot that showed her the area and enjoyed being able to spend the holidays with my family.

We were very fortunate and grateful for my godparents to drive up to spend a few hours with us and go to dinner. It's been so long since I've seen them and it was sad to see them have to go but I felt very lucky to have gotten the time to share with them that I did. Thank you Alan and Marcia!!!

Photos can be seen by clicking the link below.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=35658&id=1641663813&l=489276adbb

1 comment:

Alan DeFend said...

Way behind in reading your comments, Scott. Our very brief meeting was wonderful. Just wish it could have been longer. Glad you're getting your own place!

Alan and Marcia