Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Aquarium looks better...

I took Tuesday off from riding and running and just relaxed when I got home. I rode this afternoon with my old roommate and a friend of his, a former Cat 3 crit. rider. Boy does he make me realize what being 11 years younger does for ya. Of course, it doesn't help me any that he's naturally like 30 lbs. lighter too. And that's on his self-proclaimed out of shape side. Oh well, it gives me something to work towards. It always helps elevate one's own performance levels when you can get in with people faster or stronger than you in some way.

I'm saying this with fingers crossed but it looks like I'm out of the woods with the Ich emergency. I'll keep the heat up in the aquarium until Monday and then slowly drop it back down. After running my tests on the water today I'm happy to see the ammonia levels are still reading 0 ppm which tells me it really did fully cycle. My Nitrite levels have also dropped to 0 ppm which is good because the Nitrates are doing their jobs. Now, the normal weekly water changes will keep the Nitrates in check so they don't become too concentrated and lethal.

One of my Platies looks pregnant but we'll have to see. They are livebearers which means they give birth to fry instead of laying eggs. Those fry will likely be eaten by other tank mates if they can't get to good cover because they are a super source of protein for the other fish. I'll be keeping an eye on the fish to see what happens. She could just be well fed.

2 comments:

Dad said...

Hopefully the aquarium stops being a "loss leader" for you. Good luck!

Mom said...

I will send Nemo to help you!!! I understand your concern. I feed the school pond fish. We have not seen "Candy Corn" for a week and hope it is okay. Shrimp and Hercules are doing very well. The Kindergarten class loves helping to feed the fish.