Monday, August 2, 2010

Saturday brought another 80 mile ride down to Solana Beach. The weather stayed very nice the whole way down the coast. The sun came out as were riding out the front gate of Camp Pendleton. Don actually joined us and I invited a new acquaintance, Daniel who I met through Mike. He races for the Claremont Colleges.

I think climbing hills is getting easier since Don and I have been riding our Sunday morning mountain route. I like not suffering so much (my legs were made for sprinting and TT efforts, not climbing). In fact I've found some good kicks up climbs. Weird feeling just being able to get out of the saddle and pick up the pace...

We arrived in Solana in 4:30 which makes me feel really good about finishing Tucson in under 4 hours. The ride down the coast is pretty undulating and Tucson is pan flat.

I went out for a ride today and flatted not only on my front tire but the rear as well. It was probably on the thinner parts of the tire after the issue riding through Oceanside on Saturday. Some guy was driving oddly slow on single lane local road. I didn't want to pass him on the right because there was a parking lot entrance up ahead he could pull into. I started to try and pass on the left because his driving was making me uncomfortable and a car came on that side of the road as I poked my nose out. By that time I was going faster than the car and it was like the guy in the car just let off the gas and coasted as I was trying to brake. I locked up both front and rear wheels and went sliding forward towards him...nothing I could do. When I was literally 1/2" off his bumper he decided to pull into some restaurant parking lot. I looked at him as he drove through the lot and he was 100% oblivious to anything and everything. I wish people driving would be predictable. I'm glad I had near professional bike handling skills in the moment. Oh well, part of cycling I suppose. =) Thankfully I'm always trying to keep an eye out.

Alex, Daniel, and I took the train back to the cars in Anaheim and Don drove back with Victoria and the kids since they drove down to play at the beach. Don was nice and offered to take our bikes back with him so we didn't have to fuss with them on the train. When I went around to tell Victoria thanks both the kids started yelling hi to me. They are such happy little kids when someone comes around. It was cute and I thought how rewarding having kids must be when those simple moments come around.

No comments: